onsdag 24 november 2010

De senate tva veckorna pa engelska

24 november 2010
Hej!
Detta blir pa engelska - hoppas det ar ok med alla!

I’ve had such awesome two weeks! It’s been great in all kinds of ways. My boyfrind Daniel came on November 5th. It was very very nice to see him after two months. We went on a safari among other things. I post a few of our pictures.

But now Daniel’s back home and I’m glad to be back at Phyllis. I’ve had nice days here. Yesterday I was invited to Dorcas’, the classteacher of class 8. I was glad to come to her house for supper and staying the night. Her “house” is one room in a building which has many rooms for renting. Most people who are staying by themselves live this way, even familys do. The rent is 100 Swedish crowns + 20 crowns for electricity per month. They find this expensive. Compared with their salary it might be expensive. Some even pay school fee for a sister or brother. They can hardly save money for a trip or something else. If you have a tv you’re lucky.

It was nice spending time with Dorcas who is 23 years and has been through a lot of things. We talked til late at night and then we shared a mattress on the floor. It was very warm and I couldn’t sleep much.

Today Tuesday was the last day at school for the kids. There was a cermony with songs, performances and speeches. Only two prayers. Then I left my friend Samuel in class 5 at the matatu stop. He’s leaving to go to his uncle for a month. I wasn’t prepared because I’ve misunderstood him. I thought he was only going for three days! Coming back from the matatu stop I shed some tears. It’s very hard separating from the children. I’ve become good friends with some of them. Samuel invited me to his uncle’s home. We’ll see if we can arrange that. I’m only here for another three weeks now. In one way it’s a long time (not seeing Daniel), in anohter way it’s very short time – doing everything I want with the kids, talking, playing…

After the cermony I took the teachers and some of the home staff for lunch in Kampi ya moto. We had a nice conversation about who does what in the household. That means, here in Kenya the woman is doing all the work, if she’s a housewife and if she’s working. Maybe the man will take care of the kettle and the chamber if there is one. All the women got frustrated talking about this. Afterwards I hung out with three of the teachers at a teacher’s place. It’s fun to see how they live. We talked a lot about school, work and students. It’s always interesting to listen to their opinions. I hope to see them again.

/ Carin

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar